The world’s biggest mobile tech show, Mobile World Congress (MWC), has cancelled it’s 2020 edition event due to the ongoing epidemic of Novel CoronaVirus in China. The organizer of MWC who is known as GSMA, has, on Wednesday, announced to cancel the event, a tweet from Bloomberg stated. “JUST IN: The 2020 Mobile World Congress has been canceled by GSMA because of #coronavirus fears.” read the tweet from the Bloomberg official Twitter handle.
JUST IN: The 2020 Mobile World Congress has been canceled by GSMA because of #coronavirus fears.
— QuickTake by Bloomberg (@QuickTake) February 12, 2020
The tweet revealed how the email from the CEO of GSMA, John Hoffman, blamed CoronaVirus outbreak for the cancellation. “In an emailed statement, John Hoffman, the CEO of GSMA, said the outbreak has made it “impossible” to hold the event #MWC2020,” concluded the tweet by Bloomberg. MWC 2020 was scheduled to happen between February 24 -27 in Barcelona, Spain.
The major smartphone brands like Oppo, Vivo, OnePlus, Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, Xiaomi, Lenovo, etc. take part exuberantly every year in MWC to unveil their fresh tech products to surprise the world by their innovation. However, right after the outbreak of Corona Virus in China, the event was in the apprehension of being called cancelled.
To add to it, major tech brands like LG, Amazon, MediaTek, AT&T, Vivo, Nokia licensee HMD Global, etc. had already announced their absence from the tech show for the safety of their fans, employees and attendees. Though, brands like Xiaomi, Realme and Huawei had recently confirmed their interest to make it to the event keeping aside the fear of the CoronaVirus epidemic. In fact, Xiaomi and Realme had announced for the pre-MWC launches to keep the excitement high among the fans.
These two brands will now be eyed upon for the mode they choose to announce their pre-MWC launches. The tech industry in China is said to have been affected due to the Corona Virus outbreak.
Around 1100 people have reportedly died in China due to the outbreak of Corona Virus epidemic. It is also reported that around 40,000 people have been affected by this disastrous epidemic. Few unverified videos claimed to be from China create fear as people are forced to live inside their house to prevent Corona Virus from spreading across.
The video clips are filling every viewer with fear as it’s frightening to see people screaming for help from their windows as they are locked in their own houses. The brands like Apple and Xiaomi recently announced the closure of their stores in parts as well as across China till normalcy doesn’t restore in China. However, cancellation of a massive annual tech event like MWC is a breaking news for the whole world.