An accident took place on Ambadi Road in Vasai located at the outskirts of Mumbai due to fire in transformer at around 10 am on Wednesday. A few parked vehicles and shops were also affected due to the fire. Several videos surfaced online giving a view of how massive the fire was, several of which showed many cars parked around a transformer burning aggressively, billowing humongous smoke in the air.
A transformer caught fire on a busy road in Vasai which engulfed 3 cars, 2 bikes and 3 shops in it. The fire brigades of Virar-Vasai Municipal Corporation reached the spot. The fire personnel said that a short circuit might have caused the fire. However, there were no casualties reported.
Though, this was an incident which had no casualties reported but there were a string of huge fire incidents which have taken place recently. On Tuesday, the national capital, Delhi, witnessed a deadly fire at a budget hotel known as Arpit Palace where around 17 lost their lives, as confirmed by a senior fire official. “We have confirmed with hospital authorities, the toll is now 17 including a child,” confirmed Sunil Choudhary, a senior fire brigade official, reported AFP. The fire was so giant that around 25 fire engines were deployed to douse off the deadly fire on the top floor of the hotel. It took several hours for the firefighters to dominate over the fire and around 35 were rescued. Around 120 residents were present in the hotel and majority of them were sleeping when this incident took place.
Another similar incident took place in Delhi’s Karol Baugh where fire broke out at a factory in Karol Baugh on November 19, 2018. There were 4 casualties and 1 person sustained severe injuries. The incident took place at around 12:23 pm and it took half an hour for the firefighters to douse off the fire. Reports say that the incident occurred while the factory workers were steam pressing using a solvent in the crowded locality of Beadonpura. The four who have lost their lives in the incident were identified as Bagan Prashad (55), RM Naresh (40), Aarti (20) and Asha (40).
In Mumbai itself, a major fire broke out on December 18, 2018 at around 4pm in a government-run Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) Kamgar hospital at Marol in suburban Andheri. There were around eight casualties reported in this incident. One of the victims was a two- month old baby. 10 fire engines reached the spot to extinguish the fire and evacuate over 140 people. MD Ogle, the deputy chief fire officer at the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC), said that 15 days ago, the hospital had failed the fire safety test. The fire department had found out that the sprinkle and fire detection system were not in line with provisions.