Engineering being one of the most acceptable and reputed courses in India now has a shocking impact on the whole education system of India. About 277 fake engineering colleges are functioning in the country, with Delhi even after being the national capital houses 66 such institutes. Apart from Delhi, Telangana has 35 fake institutes and West Bengal has 27 fake institutes. The number has increased and segregated in many cities. To count, 23 colleges in Karnataka, 22 in Uttar Pradesh, 18 in Haryana, 16 in Maharashtra and 1 in Tamil Nadu. We have the list of colleges with us.
The list is as follows:
Delhi – 66
Telangana – 35
West Bengal – 27
Karnataka – 23
Uttar Pradesh – 22
Himachal Pradesh – 18
Tamil Nadu- 11
Andhra Pradesh- 7
As per the files tabled in the Lok Sabha, the Union minister of state for Human Resource Development (Higher Education), Satyapal Singh, has quoted that these engineering colleges are running their courses in their respective states without permission of All India COUNCIL FOR TECHNICAL EDUCATION (AICTE) which has come to the notice of the government.
Being the apex body of technical education, AICTE’s subsidiary function is to grant approval to new technical institutions, introduction to new courses, etc. It has also announced regulations mandating technical institutions to obtain a former approval for running courses in Engineering and technology.
On Monday July 30, Satyapal Singh revealed a list disclosing 24 institutes.
STATE-WISE LIST OF FAKE UNIVERSITIES:-
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith / Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag , Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya,Varanasi.
- Subhash Chandra Bose University, Uttar Pradesh.
- Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh.
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Uttar Pradesh.
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Uttar Pradesh.
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta.
- Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research, Kolkatta.
- Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi
- Vocational University, Delhi.
- Indian Institute of Science and Engineering
- United Nations University, Delhi
- ADR-Centric Juridical University, New Delhi
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), Delhi
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment,DELHI
- Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar
- Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University
- St. John’s University, Kerala.
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan
- North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology
- Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education
The government has assured that it will take necessary action against these institutes.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) which is appointed as a regulatory body and is monitoring and keeping a check on this issue. The UGC has also kept a record and maintained a list of these fake institutes on it’s official website. It is their responsibility to make people aware and check the legal working of the institutes.
Also, it is the responsibility of the students to check on the list of fake universities on the official website of the UGC which is updated periodically on the official website. It is important for students to check the college’s UGC recognition before seeking admission or paying the amount for that institute.
Under Section 23 of the UGC Act, no institute shall include the term “University” unless they are established under Central/State/Provincial act. The UGC also quoted, “these universities have been declared fake and are not entitled to confer any degrees”. The public at large has been cautioned not to take admission in such colleges.