The 60-year old principal of Ramnarain Ruia College, Dr. Suhas Pednekar, was appointed the Vice-chancellor of Mumbai University on Friday. The Governor of Maharashtra and Chancellor of Mumbai University, C. Vidyasagar Rao used his rights to appoint the new Vice-chancellor of the MU in the Raj Bhavan. The position was closed after almost 8 months of vacancy. Dr. Devanand Shinde, the Vice-chancellor of Shivaji University, Kolhapur was acting Vice-chancellor of the Mumbai University since the last VC was sacked.
The earlier VC, Dr. Sanjay Deshmukh, was sacked from his job due to the delayed result fiasco. He was dismissed from his job on October 24 last year. The biggest challenge for the newly appointed VC is to improvise the On Screen Marking (OSM) system which acted as a catalyst for laying off the previous VC. The OSM is the new technology used by University to expedite the correction of papers online. Unfortunately the OSM delayed and messed up the whole correction process which extremely delayed the marksheet delivery to the students. The fiasco brought several protests and agitation from students and this made the situation worst for the university to handle. Let’s hope that the new VC will strategically solve the issue for the coming years. Let’s now read 5 must known facts about our newly appointed VC
1. Dr. Pednekar conquered his B.sc (Chemistry) degree from Ramnarain Ruia College in the year 1978. He also received his M.sc (Organic Chemistry) degree from the same college in 1981.
2. He completed his PhD from the same college in 1983 and later joined the college for teaching. He joined Ramnarain Ruia College as the professor in 2005.
3. During his proffessing in Ruia College, he was elevated to the rank of Vice Principal of the college in 2001 and finally became the Principal of the college in 2006. He served as the principal of the college for almost 12 years before becoming the VC of the MU.
4. One of his biggest achievements for his college during the period he served as the principal, is the granting of Autonomous status to the college in July 2017. The college also earned the title of Potential for Excellence by UGC (University Grants Commission) and several other credits in the field of education.
5. He has a substantial portion of contribution in introducing a technique called Microscale technique which reportedly helps in reducing pollution and cost of experiment.