This christmas brought a gift from the Indian Railways for the people of Mumbai. There is a new ‘cool’ style to commute between Borivali and Churchgate now.
The Indian Railways flagged it’s first air-conditioned suburban Local train on Monday.
Though Monday being a public holiday, there was a swarm of people at Borivali and various stations waiting for the train to arrive. The crowd gazed and clicked selfies with the new baby in town.
Also Read, Adani Transmission Limited Takes Over Reliance Energy: What The Reliance Energy Consumers Must Know
Although the train already has managed to grab eyeballs, it will be running now on experimental basis between 26 December and 29 December and start operations from January 1, 2018.
ALSO READ: Crime Alert: 5 including Minor Gang rape Mentally Unstable Girl in Mumbai's Sakinaka, MLA and Police in Action
Here are few things that you must know about it.
1. The train was flagged off by the State Education Minister, Vinod Tawde on 25 December 2017, 150 years after the first suburban local was hauled by a steam engine in 1867.
2. The Western Railway has announced an introductory fare to lure the commuters. The fare is going to be 1.2 times the price of a first class one way regular ticket and will be increased to 1.3 times in the future. This means minimum ticket price per commuter single journey will be Rs. 60 and maximum Rs. 205.
ALSO READ: AIUDF MP goes berserk at Journo on asking about his Party's alliance for Election, FIR registered
3. This is the first train with automatic doors in the suburban system. Each train will have the capacity of total 6000 people with 1028 seating capacity and standing space for 4936.
4. There will be presence of RPF (Railway Protection Force) constables in each coach of the train.
5. Each coach will be equipped with a GPS based passenger information system with audio-visual indication of stations for driver-passenger communication.
6. The first and 12th coaches from Churchgate end are marked as ladies coaches and as many as seven seats in the second and eleventh coach from Churchgate end are reserved for senior citizens. While 10 seats in the 4th and 7th coaches are reserved for physically disabled passengers.
Also Read, Know The Top 6 Hollywood Movies Of 2017
The entry of this train has made quite some stir and will definitely be a blessing in disguise in the coming months of summer.