Mumbai: The Indian Meteorological Department or IMD, Mumbai Observatory had issued an ‘orange’ alert warning for rain and thunderstorm due to the cyclonic storm named Ockhi, which is almost over south west of Mumbai. Thankfully, Mumbai faced the cyclone’s terror with courage and nothing adverse was reported form the city due to the cyclone. Cyclones are categorized by the maximum wind speed they are able to generate. Ockhi has been categorised as a ‘very severe cyclonic storm’ due to its strong wind speed and the destruction it can cause due to it. It is the third strongest category according to the India Meteorological Department (IMD)
We bring you some interesting facts about this monstrous Cyclone Ockhi:
1. The name Ockhi was first coined by the country Bangladesh. It generally means ‘eye’ in the Bengali language.
2. According to the Hurricane Research Division, in order to have ease of communication between the forecasters and general public regarding forecasts, watches, and warnings, the tropical cyclones are named.
3. As per Skymet, Ockhi is moving at a speed of 38 kmph and has centred at Latitude 7.5°N and Longitude 77.5°E, around 55 km south of Kanyakumari, 120 km southwest of Thiruvananthapuram, 480 km east-southeast of Minicoy and 340 km west-northwest of Galle in Sri Lanka.
4. Ockhi has resulted due to deep depression in the south of Kanyakumari and west of Sri Lanka as this depression is intensified.
5. Even the IMD had issued a heavy rainfall warning over south Kerala and Tamil Nadu for the next 24 hours. The fishermen too have been restricted and advised to stay indoors owing to bad weather conditions.
6. This is the reason why even Maharashtra was, too, put up on the 48 hours alert as the weatherman said that Maharashtra will witness moderate rainfall over north Konkan including Mumbai. Heavy rainfall and high-speed winds can be expected in the areas near the coast and even the sea will be rough.