Many of us are very familiar with this dish and some of us are not. Maybe some of us have tasted this dish but aren’t familiar to it. But, all of us have sure had our times of smacking our lips and licking our fingers after finishing every single bite of this and many such Indian delicacies. What can I possibly tell you about Indian dishes like Dhokla when we have our mothers all master chefs in themselves in our houses. But, for those away from home or those fans of Indian vegetarian foodies who haven’t yet tried this dish. Turn your eyes on this page as we bring to you a simple way of making Dhokla.
Dhokla is a vegetarian dish originated from Indian state, Gujarat. It is like a yellow fluffy, spicy and tangy steamed cake garnished with fresh coriander and coconut. Dhokla can be eaten as a snack and also in main course.
Let’s look at the list of ingredients needed for preparing this dish.
- 1 cup Chickpeas Flour
- Semolina or Rava 1 table spoon
- ½ table spoon Lemon juice
- 1 table spoon Eno fruit salt
- Crushed Green Chilly 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- ¾ Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Curd
- 1 tea Spoon Oil
- Salt to Taste
Watch Our Report & Subscribe to Our Channel:
- 2 table spoon of Oil
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 10-15 Curry Leaves
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- 1 table Spoon Sugar
- 4 Green Chilies (slit and cut into halves)
- Some finely Chopped Coriander
- 2 table spoon fresh Grated Coconut
- 1/3 Cup Water.
HOW TO MAKE THE BATTER:
- In a bowl, mix well chickpea flour, semolina, lemon juice, crushed green chili, ginger paste, curd, ¾ cup water and salt to taste.
- Mix the batter well until appears lump free and smooth.
- Add the Eno salt to the batter and mix it well stirring lightly for a minute.
- Keep the batter to rest.
- While the batter rests, take your 3-5 liter cooker and pour one and ½ or 2 glasses of water. Heat it over a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Grease the cooker vessel with oil and pour the batter into it. Place a stand into the steamed cooker before placing the batter containing vessel into it.
- Remove the whistle and close the cooker lid. Cook for 15 minutes over medium flame.
NOTE 1: In case not cooked in 15 minutes, cook for more 5-6 minutes with the lid closed.
NOTE 2: If you want to prepare the Dhokla in a microwave, just rest the batter for 10 minutes. Till it rests, grease the microwave bowl with oil. Pour the batter in the greased bowl. Cover with the lid and let it cook on high setting for over 3 minutes.
TAMPERING AND GARNISHING:
- After the Dhokla is cooked well, remove it on a plate and cut it into equal squares.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil on a separate pan.
- When the oil is heated, add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add cumin seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves and green chili and saute for a few seconds.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and sugar and bring it to boil.
- Cook it for over a minute or two on high flame.
- Pour the tampering over Dhokla squares and toss gently.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut and serve.
That’s it from our side. Enjoy your meal and share your comments on our social media pages.